Bureau of Customs to destroy smuggled luxury cars as ordered by President Duterte 

Bureau of Customs to destroy smuggled luxury cars as ordered by President Duterte 

  • Last year, smuggled luxury cars were retrieved by the Bureau of Customs.
  • Some of the ones retrieved were a Mercedes-Benz, a Lamborghini, and a Ferrari.
  • What did the Customs Commissioner have to say about this? Watch the video below.

On September 2017, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) retrieved misdeclared luxury cars and auto parts worth around PHP 10 million at the Manila International Container Port (MICP).

Based on ABS-CBN News’ report, the government agency retrieved a 40-footer shipment that was delivered by Juljerjac Trading. It originally came from Hong Kong and it was only declared to contain auto parts.

However, the agency discovered that the shipment contained two used Mercedes-Benz and several auto parts.

In an interview with the source, district collector Vincent Maronilla said, “This is a prima facie evidence of misdeclaration, hence we will issue a warrant of seizure and detention against Juljerjac Trading’s smuggled motor vehicles.” 

via facebook/gmanewss
via facebook/gmanewss

In an additional report from Manila Times, Bureau of Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña was cited as saying, “I commend all the BOC personnel instrumental in the apprehension of these luxury cars. I call on you to always safeguard our ports from all forms of smuggling.” 

They also mentioned that the agency seized the shipment for violating the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA) in relation to Section 3 of Executive Order 156. According to the particular EO, used motor vehicles are not supposed to be imported.

Now, five months after the Customs has seized the items, GMA News Online reported that President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the agency to destroy the luxury cars.

via facebook/gmanewss
via facebook/gmanewss
via facebook/gmanewss

Lapeña said in the interview, “This is a presidential directive coming from the President and I agree… these will be destroyed to send a strong message to the smugglers, para hindi na sila uulit-ulit pa.” 

Apparently, more luxury cars were shipped to the Philippines following the initial shipment of the Mercedes-Benz. A McLaren sports car, Lamborghini, and a Ferrari were also discovered by the government agency.

They were supposed to be auctioned off but Lapeña said that it might be possible for the cars to be smuggled again. He shared, “Pag nahuli, eh di i-aauction, ang mananalo sa auction sila-sila din.” 

via facebook/gmanewss
via facebook/gmanewss
via facebook/gmanewss

Watch the video report about this below, as uploaded to the official Facebook page of GMA News:

Exclusive: Smuggled luxury cars na nasabat ng Customs, iniutos ng pangulo na wasakin

Exclusive: Smuggled luxury cars na nasabat ng Customs, iniutos ng pangulo na wasakin | Tinutukan 'yan ni Jun Veneracion sa 24 Oras.Sa mga Kapuso abroad, tumutok o mag-subscribe sa GMA Pinoy TV, GMA Life TV, at GMA News TV International para sa iba pang mga balita.

Posted by GMA News on Monday, January 8, 2018

What do you think about this, readers? What can you say about Duterte ordering the Bureau of Customs to destroy the smuggled cars? Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below! 

SOURCES: GMA News Facebook | GMA News Online | ABS-CBN News | Manila Times

Think this is important? Share with your friends!

TAGS: , ,

 
     

Comments

comments



error: Content is protected !!