Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from eating raw oysters

Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from eating raw oysters

  • The end came quickly for Jeanette LeBlanc, a woman who lived in Louisiana, Texas.
  • For three weeks, she was vibrio, a flesh-eating bacteria, before she succumbed to death.
  • Jeanette contracted the bacteria from eating raw oysters she bought at a market near New Orleans.

Jeanette LeBlanc, a woman living in Texas, passed away just three weeks after enjoying raw oysters with friends. According to a report by the Epoch Times, the poor lady apparently contracted Vibrio, a flesh-eating bacteria that one could also get after swimming in warm sea water with an open wound.

LeBlanc and her friend Karen Bowers surely didn’t think it would end like this when they happily and excitedly picked up raw oysters at a market near New Orleans. LeBlanc and Bowers ate about two dozens of raw oysters each, most probably unaware of the high risk it put them in for contracting the life-threatening flesh-eating bacteria.

According to Bowers, Jeanette fell sick shortly after they feasted on the raw oysters.

via facebook.com/ktve10kard14
via facebook.com/ktve10kard14

“About 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, had a rash on her legs and everything,” Jeanette Bergquist said, a friend of LeBlanc and Bowers.

LeBlanc, along with Bowers and their other friends, thought it was an allergic reaction. However, getting a flesh-eating bacteria is much worse than any sort of allergic reaction. An allergic reaction would easily subside within the day with enough rest and anti-allergens.

via hefastmetabolismdietcommunity.com
via mcgonigles.com

Jeanette LeBlanc, on the other hand, deteriorated rapidly within the first two days of the first rash appearance on her legs. She then decided to go for a medical consultation, which yielded a diagnosis of vibrio. Soon after, the rashes on her legs progressed into severe wounds thanks to the flesh-eating bacteria.

It took the bacteria three weeks before they could get the better of LeBlanc, though — a testament to her fighting spirit and will to survive.

via theepochtimes.com

“I can’t even imagine going through that for 21 days, much less a day. Most people don’t last,” Bowers explained.

Bergquist also had only nice things to say about her friend. She also hopes this serves as a reminder to everyone of the dangers of eating raw oysters.

“She was bigger than life. She was a great person, laughed a lot, loved her family, loved her dad.”

LeBlanc’s family and friends are now taking this opportunity to raise awareness about vibrio and vibriosis, so that less lives could be put at risk for something like this.

“If they really knew what could happen to them and they could literally die within 48, 36 hours of eating raw oysters, is it really worth it?” Karen Bowers said.

Netizens have also said their piece about this incident:

via facebook.com/ktve10kard14

 

via facebook.com/ktve10kard14

 

via facebook.com/ktve10kard14

 

via facebook.com/ktve10kard14

 

via facebook.com/ktve10kard14

What about you? What do you think about this story? Have you tried eating raw oysters? Were you aware that you could get flesh-eating bacteria for doing so? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below!

SOURCE: The Epoch Times

Think this is important? Share with your friends!

TAGS: , , ,

 
     

Comments

comments

error: Content is protected !!